Sick.
of
Winter.
Seriously, I'm pretty sure I have seasonal affective disorder. It isn't fun.
Most of the time I just want to sleep. I don't even like going outside. Most certainly can't make myself work on my BOTM quilt. Which is due really soon.
Blah.
Don't worry. We bought new light bulbs
Plus, I keep myself busy by planning for it to be spring. I've ordered seeds from Baker Creek and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange this year. Also, have a few seeds I saved from last years crop.
This is my first time ordering from Southern Exposure, but they come well recommended in my Master Gardener's group. The prices are a little cheaper than Baker's Creek, but there isn't nearly as good of a selection. However, I thought I'd give them a chance and order most of my seeds from them.
However, Baker's Creek has so many unique seeds I couldn't pass up ordering from them. So I ordered a few different seeds (like the Kiwano-African Horned Cucumber) from their store as well. Plus you always get a free pack of seed with your order. Who can pass that up?!
I'm wanting to grow potatoes this year and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've heard a few of the older people say they just plant store potatoes. Then again, I've also heard that this can bring in unwanted diseases. I really, really want to plant some blue potatoes. Have you seen these? I'm determined to make blue mashed potatoes.
Here is a sneak peek at our experimental seed starter/grow house. N. James has been dreaming this up for a while. Basically, it is two of those stackable plastic drawers from Lowes with some 100 watt Natural Daylight Bulbs. We are using two bulbs per drawer. We lined the drawers with tin foil and wired everything into an old curling iron cord.
And yes. I mean "we." I learned how to strip wires. No one was harmed in the process. I did burn myself on the hot glue gun, though.
Now, just waiting for my seeds to arrive so I can start them in their new home.
Yeah, I had friends in college/high school that had this same basic setup...except they weren't growing veggies....
ReplyDelete