My husband was only able to be off with us for a week. I panicked, but reassured myself with the thought that I'd be okay. I had naively assumed that I would be able to keep everything under control. I had done this before, right? How hard could it possibly be? New baby and a four year old who was pretty much self sufficient. She can wipe herself and use a toaster, what else does she need? Plus, I had plenty of people who could keep me company. I certainly didn't lack people who wanted to visit and cuddle the new baby.
Yeah, fast forward to the second day home with the children sans husband where I lost it. I cried myself silly all day long. Happy (who wasn't so happy then) was having stomach troubles and I was trying desperately to deal with that AND tame an attention hungry toddler. One night I called the lactation nurses in tears. The baby had been crying for over an hour and we had tried everything. I choked out my responses to her questions before hearing these words, “Is this for your first child?”
Yeah, fast forward to the second day home with the children sans husband where I lost it. I cried myself silly all day long. Happy (who wasn't so happy then) was having stomach troubles and I was trying desperately to deal with that AND tame an attention hungry toddler. One night I called the lactation nurses in tears. The baby had been crying for over an hour and we had tried everything. I choked out my responses to her questions before hearing these words, “Is this for your first child?”
Uncontrollable
crying
“No, she’s
my second.” I know lady. I’ve been down this road before and here I was boo-hooing to a complete stranger on the phone. I can't keep my baby from crying. I should know what I’m doing, but I don’t. All of those months planning and preparing A. James to be an independent, confident big sister went down the drain. She all of a sudden needed "help" doing the simplest tasks and was a monster if she didn't get x amount of attention from mom and dad a day. As for the guests? No way. The last thing I wanted was for my family and friends to see how much of a complete wreck I was. New mom's are supposed to be happy and cheerful, not acting like this! I was disappointed with myself. I’m a failure as a mom. Come take my license away that allows me to use
my kids as excuses to hold the animals in Petco.
This is how I felt every. Single. Day.
Fail, fail, fail.
I wanted to know who it was that painted this
glamorous picture of new moms and new babies.
Where days are spent cuddled beneath a down comforter while your “sex-deprived
and okay with it” husband brings you breakfast in bed, quietly, not to disturb
the aura of bliss radiating out of the room, all the while thinking what a peaceful
and happy life you have. Where the
laundry gets done and there is always something warm and delicious on the table. Where your older daughter is happy and not having a melt down because you are out of sunbutter and this means you no longer love her.
| Ah, the glamorous life of a new mom. |
Happy is ten weeks old now and I can almost see a faint outline of what might be normal if I squint and wish really, really hard. TEN WEEKS! I feel like I should have had things together a long, long time ago. We are just now starting to leave the house without help from my husband. However, to be fair, most of the time it is just to drive to my grandmother’s house and I've gone to Kroger with both kids twice---a feat to which I felt deserved some type of trophy.
I know it will get better, it does every day. As Happy gets older and is able to stay
occupied for longer periods of time. As
she starts to smile and coo my heart melts and I forget about all the hours of
bouncing and crying and crying and bouncing.
They say moms forget about how hard it is with a newborn baby. That must explain it. Otherwise you’ve got to be a stark raving mad
woman to do this again and again.
No comments:
Post a Comment