Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 1: Where I find that my happiness is directly related to my dishes being clean



A friend of mine has decided to organize her blog into special blogging themed days. I think that this is a great idea because it makes that OCD part of me very happy (which, if I want to appear as anything that can even remotely pass as "sane," must be ignored). She has a day where she blogs about recycling, a day where she blogs about her budget, a day where she blogs about crafting---you get the idea. I love this idea! I'd really like to do the same, but the problem I have is that I can't blog every single day. I like the idea very much, but I know that if I say I will blog everyday---and I find myself without the time and it is Thursday and I should be talking about Self-Sufficiency, and I can't, that I will feel very guilty.


As part of my happiness project (you should start one too!)---I've decided to be very honest with myself and try to not make decisions that I know (even If I am in really deep denial about it) will make me unhappy. I am pretty sure that just by making a conscious effort and doing this daily, I can eliminate most of the things that are weighing me down. This means first off, taking on too much by trying to take on a load bigger than I can carry. Believe me, I am a pro at this. I have been taking on too much since as long as I can remember. You would think that I would learn (because it almost always—without fail, ends up with me feeling overwhelmed and crying) but no. I am also the pro of worrying that someone will think I am a wimp, or incompetent, or lazy if I cannot do what they ask (they don't ever get to see the ugly overwhelmed crying part, so you are okay! Right?!) So, unfortunately (sorry OCD self) I cannot organize my blog into adorable handy themed days. However, maybe I can find a substitution to this, like themed weeks or months--Maybe two reoccurring themes that I write about twice a week? Start small, baby steps.


I have already started "baby steps" in this project by trying to find my triggers (or the things that have strong roots in your irritability and frustration). The biggest of these for me is having an unclean house. However, within this HUGE category there are many smaller triggers and some reign supreme while others (like moping the floor) can slip by for days (or let us be honest, weeks). So, I've mentally arranged my "Unclean House" category into a list of triggers. I found that the kitchen is my biggest trigger. Maybe it is because our house is very small right now and the kitchen is pretty prominent in what people see when they walk in (we can always close the bedroom doors). So, when I wake up and the first thing I see is dishes piled up and trash on the counters----my bad day has already started. To stop this trigger, I've started to clean the kitchen at night before bed. I don't worry about it throughout the day (which also is helping) ---and just deal with it at night. It is so nice to wake up to a clean kitchen.

 


 


 


 

1 comment:

  1. Like the flylady said...SHINE YOUR SINK! That's her "hug" to you when you wake up. :) I am trying to get to that point as well. I just have to get up off my duff and do it. Which my house is in chaos because I'm in the process of eliminating a lot of things. So as you know when you start dragging stuff out and filtering it OUT of the house, it looks much worse than when you started. But it's all coming together.

    Thank you for the link back to my blog, btw. :D I need the accountability. Thus me doing it daily. And I'm one of those that if I don't do it every day, I will hardly do it at all, and that means in practice as well as in blogging it. So in order for me to blog it (I've obligated myself)I have to practice it. :D But it's cool that you're going to have your own theme and your own way. :) I look forward to traveling down this happiness road with you. :) Who knows, I'll probably find out things about me that I didn't know existed too. :) I'm all about that!

    ReplyDelete