- Husband
- Kid or "family"
I have always thought about how I can be happier. I've done a few things to try to achieve this goal, but nothing ever very seriously and with a lot of effort. I found a very interesting website by Gretchen Rubin author of the book (which I must read) The Happiness Project. I won't go into detail; she explains everything on her website (and is more eloquent than me). However, this is much more proof that most people are sitting around thinking about happiness, being happy, and how to go about doing so.
I've tried to be more mindful about my life since learning about Buddhism in college. The connection between--- not really "happiness"--- but being content (which I feel is a more accurate goal) and mindfulness is pretty strong. I felt this connection for myself as I watched the chapters in my Psychology text books flow in and out of the words written in Buddhist books such as A Still Forest Pool by Achaan Chah to the point of becoming just one text. I kept thinking, "Man, that makes so much sense!" While in graduate school, I learned about Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy and it all seemed to fall into place for me. Then life happened—as it always will, and I put graduate school on hold to be with A. James and watch her grow. I didn't forget about mindfulness, I just didn't see how it could be important to me if I wasn't using it to work with clients. I made a pretty common mistake. Not to mention that it is a mistake I've made before and should have learned from (especially, if I was being mindful). This is the mistake in thinking that knowledge isn't useful if other people can't see you use it. I'm going to try really hard to not make this mistake anymore.
Two things I am going to be mindful of in the future are:
- Thinking that my college education was a "waste" because of my choice to stay home with my daughter and feeling guilty about my college loan payments.
- Feeling that it is "silly" to continue to learn about mindfulness methods because I "won't ever use them" in the clinical setting. I can find tons of use for them at home.
I think this internal monologue really starts to hit after the 25 marker. I know it hit me around 27. I didn't have a child at the time, but I was grossly unhappy with where I was in life and where I was going and how I was going to get there. I had went to school and couldn't even show an associates degree even though I had the credit hours for a bachelors. I was working in retail, and I hadn't achieved any of the goals that I'd set for myself. So I can completely understand where you're coming from. I like to live mindful. I need to be reminded often! Our society doesn't promote that mentality, so it's really hard to sustain. I felt the same connection with Buddhism. :) I have the Dalai Lama's "Little Book of Wisdom" and I've been seeking his "Art of Happiness". "Knowledge is only wasted if it isn't learned." A teacher had this on her wall when I was in grade school. I took it to heart then, as I do now. Oh and you cannot achieve happiness if you are not content. I think Lao Tzu said it best when he said "Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."
ReplyDelete:)
You should read, "Live in a Better Way." It is one of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
ReplyDeleteThanks anonymous!
ReplyDelete