Tuesday, April 6, 2010

“Just wait until Saturday. You’ll feel really old then.”

Ah---the uplifting and encouraging words of my friend a few days before my 26th birthday. The good news is that she bought me a big bottle of Moscoto to help "drown the pain of aging."

Haha. Birthdays just are not the same as they used to me. First off, they come a lot quicker than they used to. Secondly, not nearly as many people care. For me, birthdays officially ended right before my 20th birthday when my Papaw stopped giving me a dollar for every year. Little did he know I had been waiting for my 20th birthday since I was about ten because that meant I got $20.00 and that seemed like so much money back then, heck, $20.00 still seems like a lot of money. I was a little bit heartbroken, not only because I had been looking forward to it, but because it technically meant I was "too old."

Who sits around and makes the decisions on who is "too old" for something and who isn't? What jerk made that decision, I'd like to know. Even after I had A. James, I've heard some people say things like, "Well, you can't wear a two piece bathing suit anymore because you are a mom." What? I wasn't aware that having children meant I had to purchase an entirely different wardrobe. Why does getting older mean that you can't have fun anymore and you have to wear old lady bathing suits? I guess it is just different for different people. Last summer, my Grandmother was talking about a woman from her church and how she wasn't doing too well. Then she said, "I hope I don't get that way when I get old." My grandmother is 84. I just love that she is 84 and doesn't consider herself "old."

I did have a very nice birthday. It was beautiful outside. N. James and I went to Evansville and watched Alice and Wonderland (which I thought was a little over rated, but that's Disney for you). We went to JoAnn Fabric's and I bought a few patterns (they were on sale for 99 cents) to try my hand at making dresses for myself and for A. James. While I was doing that, N. James (very sneakily) went and bought me a Gingher Rotary Cutter and some Dressmaker's Shears. I was pretty stoked. What a great guy! It's funny because not very many of my friends understand. They say, "What did you get for your birthday?" I reply, "SCISSORS!" They look very confused.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're old. I'm 34. I'll be 35 in June. And though I think I look my age, I'm constantly told I don't. :) I think that wearing clothes is a statement of your age, vs where you are in life. For example, I think some of these young girl fashions look bad on a woman who's completely grey haired and carrying a cane. However, I think that there are some styles that are timeless and ageless. And though I fail miserably, I wish to eventually, one day when I'm grown up, be able to find that. I think of birthdays as personal holidays. They are meant to be celebrated and loved. :) I almost died when I was 21. And when you're very conscious and you're facing death, literally, in the face, there's something about it that gives you an appreciation for life.

    So anyways! Enjoy your birthdays, and you're only as old as you feel. Cliché but true! I tell everyone that thinks I'm young, that I'm just immature, and that's alright by me. :)

    ReplyDelete