Sunday, May 16, 2010

Giveaway Day!

Hurray! The time of the year we all have been waiting for!


No, not the Christmas Holidays. No, not Spring Break.

SewMamaSew's Giveaway Day!

I am excited to be a part of all of the fun this year! If you are a first time visitor, thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you come again! If you come here pretty often, thanks for putting up with me! Make sure you visit other blogs as well! There are so many great blogs also offering giveaways!






Okay, on with the show. Here is what you can win. Ooooh la-la. A half-yard bag made from Molly Chicken's pattern. I created this using an old vintage pillow case from the Salvation Army as well as a few scraps I had laying around of linen. It has a pocket and some flowers on the outside and three pockets on the inside.

Want to win?

First off, I'd appreciate you following my blog! It isn't necessary, but it would sure make my day. Plus, if this goes well I will probably be doing more giveaways in the future!

What you must do is help me solve a problem. I have fabric my mother bought me on her last trip to Hancock's of Paducah. Beautiful, beautiful fabric that needs the perfect project. I have about a yard of each and I can't decide what to do with it! I love it, I'd like for it to be in the open where I can see it and use it often. To win the bag, I'd like for you to make some suggestions. What would you do with the fabric? You can pick a project for each fabric or just one for the one you like best. So suggest away! I'll be grading you on creativity! Links, tutorials are a plus!





Beautifully confusing fabric!

Good Luck!
P.S Make sure you leave your email or blog link in your comment section like this:
myname (at) gmail (dot) com to keep your inbox free from spam!

90 comments:

  1. What great fabrics! I'd make a clutch out of the top fabric - something like this:

    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-simple-clutch/2009/04/08/

    or this:

    http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2007/03/rather_sexy_wri.html

    The bottom fabric I would turn into a purse organizer, like this:

    http://hopestudios.blogspot.com/2009/02/purse-organizer-tutorial.html

    Gorgeous bag, I'd love to win!

    thriftycraftmama at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the chance to win. with that much fabric a chinese coins quilt would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the giveaway. I think your fabrics would make a beautiful bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about placemats? Or, the top fabric would look gorgeous fussy cut into some pot-holders hanging on hooks. The bottom fabric would look nice sewn in bands onto the bottom of hand towels in the powder room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always like the idea of fussy cutting with birds, then framing with patchwork to make anything...bag, placemats, mini quilt...
    Thanks for the giveaway, I love that bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would make something that left a good portion of the design visable so as not to break up the beautiful birds.... what about a table runner or centerpiece, pillow covers, or tote bags. If you have some coordinating fabric scraps, what about a hanging organizer with pockets for mail, pens, notepads, etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bag is beautiful, and so is the fabric! Have you thought about making a decorative piece for the house? I'm thinking a fabric bowl would be great, filled with those useless but kinda cute wicker balls, all handsomely placed on top of a coffee or kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great giveaway! love the bag. :)
    and i'm following your blog, too.
    i think those fabrics would make adorable pillows. for a couch or chair - definitely a conversation piece! and i just love birds....
    lora
    eagerhands@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pillow would be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to make a boxy pouch! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pillows! i love the fabric!

    escuishi(at)hotmail(dot)com
    http://hello-my-little-world.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bag is so pretty, and I love the bird fabric too! Thanks for a chance to win!
    Andrea methvin3@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you'd expect me to say make an apron from those fabrics! While they would make an adorable apron, I'd use them for a set of quilted coasters and matching napkins! :) The bag is adorable, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would make a nice garden tote, any tote really, or even a pillow

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the top fabric, I would make a cute little wristlet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty fabric, I would actually frame the top fabric; would look very cute on the wall! Maybe an apron for the bottom fabric-Thanks for the giveaway! stacyjj3@yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh - love that top fabric - definitely feel a pillow coming on! Something simple, combined with linen and something along the lines of the tree color as accent so that the birds really stand out. I love browsing the Pillow Talk Swap photos on flickr for inspiration.

    My email should be on my profile page or you could come over to my blog and check out my giveaway as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fabric is beautiful. I'd make a table cover using the lighter fabric as the border. Pillows are another good idea. You're lucky to have them. I love the bag you made, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your bag! As for ideas for your fabric... you could try out my gathering apron tutorial! Find it on my blog www.frogcreekcottage.com . sarah@frogcreekcottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very lovely fabrics. I would make a quilt like "Just Can't Cut it" where you use large sections and feature pretty fabric. They would also make a nice Buttercup bag. Thanks for entering me in your sweet giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I would use them to make something for the kitchen. A nice placemat set would be perfect. You could even make coasters with the extras.

    simply.simon.sisters@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the bottom fabric would make a great Buttercup Bag! http://www.made-by-rae.com/2009/02/free-buttercup-bag-sewing-pattern.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would make a wall hanging and put it an area that you would look at during the day and each time it would cheer you up even if it was a stormy day! I'd love your bag that you are giving away and what makes it even better is that it is what I consider a recycled item since you saved it from the Salvation Army! Good thinking!!!!! I'm becoming a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would get some coordinating fabrics and make a couple of beautiful table runners so you could see them often!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the rosettes on your lovely bag!

    Hmmm. I would make a knitting needle case, and maybe a matching project tote or drawstring bag.

    Thanks so much for the giveaway. It's fun to find you blog!

    ammieloris at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like the fabrics would be great as an apron of some sort! omydarlingblog(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the bag!

    I think you should make a few placemats and napkins out of your treasured fabrics- you can see and use them often!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, that fabric is way to pretty to cut! I think I would just have to frame it. ;)

    Susan

    susansisney@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay for the beautiful bird fabric I would by a black frame about a 11x14 size and just frame it. Maybe cut out one of the birds and mode pode it to some really heavy card stock or foam board and then cut it out and hot glue it to the outside of the frame for a 3D effect.Hang it in your favorite room (the master bedroom perhaps?). Then make a coordinating throw pillow with the left overs and throw it on your bed! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that they would be cute for curtains also..They are very beautiful and would look awesome as curtains with the right decor,

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooh... I like the tablerunner idea. I was thinking a pillow for the red birds. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous bag! That is just lovely. I'm just now learning to make little stuffed animals, so I'd use the fabric to make a cute little elephant, like the one I just made on my blog - take a look :)
    http://www.jenbenbry.wordpress.com

    Thanks so much for the opportunity to check out your work, it's lovely!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  33. with one yard, I would make a bulletin board like this:
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/memoboard

    with the other, I would make a chair, like this:
    http://www.upholster.com/howto/slipseat.html

    Most people would want a set of chairs to match, but I'm random and would love just one chair with a nice fabric to set next to somthing.

    Ps. I'd use the top for the bulletin board, and the bottom fabric on the chair. Maybe weather the chair and stain it before hand.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What lovely fabric! I'd use the bird fabric to make a pillowcase set: solid coordinating color for the main body with the birds as the open border edge. Or a plain front pillow sham with something simple like three buttons in the middle, with the bird print on the back. I agree that a wall hanging would be great too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the great giveaway! I would definitely use that bird fabric for a pillow on my couch, if it were me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pillows are a great possibility, but I think the top one with the larger birds would be neat if it were quilted somewhat and then framed in a glossy black for a wall hanging. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can see embroidering something ont he pink birds and hanging it on the wall, though that doesn't really take care of much of the fabric, eh? Sorry, that;s all I got for now.
    Don't miss my unofficial giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well, I'm not sure about the bottom fabric, but that top one would make a really cute knee length skirt! Just add a solid trim to the top and bottom ... or maybe just the bottom and it would be seriously cute paired with a nice simple top and super cute shoes! jinglesells at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Tough one! I do agree with someone who posted previously - the top fabric could become a wall hanging and then a coodinating pillow. That would be really eye-catching in a room. The bottom fabric screams some sort of bag to me... but then again, I want to make bags out of everything I see!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You could make this skirt! http://sewastraightline.blogspot.com/2010/03/domesticated-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can see a wallhanging made out of the bottom fabric, just framed, or even stretched over a canvas. Thanks for a chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I added you to my google reader!

    ReplyDelete
  43. either one of these would make a great bag, here's a link to one that i love:

    http://www.themikkelsens.net/sarah/journal/2009/03/pleated-purse-pattern.html

    Happy sewing (and of course i hope I win!)

    shelly.potter(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the fabric!!
    donandrea@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for the chance to win! I think I would use each of your fabrics in a different project. Maybe an apron or a bag?

    ReplyDelete
  46. The top fabric would be cute as the lower half of an apron - with a solid bright pink bib and some cute trim! Great giveaway!

    caityshinnick[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  47. :) Thanks for the chance...i'd love to make a boxy pouch :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think framing that bird fabric is the way to go...it's gorgeous! I'd break it up into several pieces and frame them in similar/identical frames. The other fabric--oh, it has birds too, amongst the cherry blossoms--I'd use as the front panel in a multipaneled summery skirt.

    Greetings from a fellow Kentuckian! (Born Louisville, grew up in Lexington, now in sunny So. Calif.). I LOVE that you have my favorite author quoted up there...I can't get enough of Mr. Berry...

    Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  49. A coin quilt or block style quilt or some type of quilt to show off the red and black one in the center;)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Use the fabric to cover some notebooks....or journals, I love journals. Please include me in your giveaway.

    Donna
    dwarrington1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Aww! I love the bag it is adorable and one of a kind! Supper cool!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great giveaway....beautiful fabric. Pillows would be my suggestion!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I saw someone said to make place mats. I think that is a great idea. I was thinking throw pillow. It could be on display on a bed or sofa. Or you could also make a reversible table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oooh, I automatically loved the top fabric for a throw pillow or two. It's very graphically striking. I would use the smaller print for a little girls skirt or something. Thanks for the chance to win!
    meg_hilton (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  55. OK so the top fabric I like the simplicity of it so I actually would do appliques of the design on a t-shirt or a skirt... I think it would loos SO GREAT to use a large applique on a linen or simple summer skirt. Or use it for a few pieces.

    As for the bottom fabric... I would make a summer kitchen set. Napkins, use a strip as a kitchen towel decoration and maybe some reusable paper towels or oven mitts that you can change out with other seasons.

    I really love the bag and thanks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  56. I have to say Pillows are the fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  57. The bag is beautiful!
    I'm not too creative but I really think either fabric would make a great accent pillow or maybe some kids of fun wall art.
    hutchyhutch87(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  58. Perfect for a reversible apron! I have many links on my blog:
    http://mamalusco.blogspot.com

    This is one of my favorites:

    http://sew4home.com/projects/kitchen-linens/578-retro-fun-vintage-style-apron

    Thanks for the great giveaway. luscofamily@ortelco.net

    ReplyDelete
  59. Fantastic giveaway! Thanks for the opportunity! I would make a quilt. I would use the birds as the center of a large block so that the birds were the focus.

    ReplyDelete
  60. That fabric is wonderful! I would do pillows or an art piece with them.

    ali_g25 @ yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  61. Oh cool giveaway!
    There is a Farmers Market Tote on http://someartfabrictalk.blogspot.com/ for a big flat bottom bag that would show up both fabrics together. I haven't followed that pattern yet but I have it bookmarked.
    Gosh, those fabrics are so pretty - anything will be cute!
    (And I love Molly Chicken. Wish she was blogging more.)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thanks for the giveaway!! A quilt is always the best answer!! ;0)

    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  63. I too have about a yard of precious fabric from my Nanny - I couldn't even bear to cut into it - so I just hemmed it and I turn the square on the diagonal and use it as a table runner of sorts...

    http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2009/01/nannys-cloth_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi,
    when in doubt I make pillows. If you make an envelope style cover it's easily washable, very visible, takes 15 minutes, and can be changed out. :)

    ananemone(at)gmail.(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  65. I think they would be lovely aprons.

    steffanie771 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  66. wow, they're beautiul!
    I'd love to make a kimono if I had enough fabric! If there isn't enough, I think making a pair of japanese slippers would be cool! Here's a reference: http://www.yamatoku.jp/img/81068630b.jpg

    shou.milk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. I think a nice big beachy style bag would work great with those birds! Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  68. wow that bag is gorgeous! I would feel so pretty carrying it around. So, what would I do with those fabrics? The bottom one would make a lovely pillow on the sofa. The two together would look awesome displayed like this...http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2007/3/2/liberty-of-london-swatch-portraits.html
    Thank you for the giveaway.
    scarletteandcinnamon(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I am in a quandary over fabric as well! I have some that I love and want to show off perfectly. Not to discourage you, but I've been thinking of how to use this fabric for months! :) For these fabrics, if you adore them this month, do something where you'll see them often. Make two purses (so you can feature them both) -or- stretch the fabrics around canvases and hang them up in your sewing room. I took all of my faves and put them in a quilt -- but large squares so I'd see it and could admire it!

    Good luck deciding! I frequently check out Craft Gossip because they pull together lots of tutorials from around the web and you can find them all there.

    ReplyDelete
  70. How about a clock? You can buy the clock mechanism from hobby stores, then attach it to a circle of wood that's covered with the fabric. Or how about making it wall art (mount the fabric in a fancy frame)?

    ReplyDelete
  71. oh my gosh those are gorgeous
    I definitely understand needing just the right item made from them.
    I'd most likely make tea towels or aprons from them.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Oh my goodness! Those two fabrics would look FAB together in Sandi Hendrson's Reversible Market Bag! You need a yard of each (the pattern says 1 1/8 yd, but I enjoy using a third fabric for the 1/8 needed for the pocket). For your pocket a solid fuschia pink would be great! I wish I could attach a photo, I'm obsessed with making these bags. And...I'm a newbie sewer so they must be easy enough to make. This bag was the second project I've ever done :)
    here you go, take a peek at the pattern:
    http://www.sandihendersondesign.com/product-p/sh06mb.htm
    susanmariedesigns@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  73. I think the first fabric would be amazing as a lining to a similar bag as the one you make. The second fabric has me stumped.

    saradfarris(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  74. Oh I would make a table runner or something type of wall hanging for the front room area. Then you could see it every day and enjoy the beautiful fabric.

    sallybradley(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  75. Lovely bag, I would use those fabrics in a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  76. I would make a purse with the top fabric so I could carry it around with me. hehe.
    I'm now following your blog! Thanks for doing the giveaway! bcgood83@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  77. Hmmm...I've been thinking all this time what would the "perfect" project be for these fabrics. I think the red bird one should be the face of a pillow with a rich red heavy fabric for the back with a goldish rope for the edging. The green fabric I would use with some blue fabric (the colour of the peacocks) to make a quilted floor pillow. That's the best I could think of. And I've been thinking for these last few days. No wonder you've been having such a hard time!

    Thank you for the opportunity to win your bag! :D

    ReplyDelete
  78. I got in on this too late! Don't worry, though, I've come up with the best idea yet-- a fabulous new purse for me. (:

    Sorry I'm not much help. Love the fabric though! Take pics of whatever you make.

    ReplyDelete
  79. You could always do fabric art where you stape it to a canvas and hang it on the wall-then you would always see it and you'd have a big size to reuse if you ever got tired of it on the wall. Just a thought...
    Thanks for the giveaway,
    kelli
    kellbell_6@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  80. This fabric would make the front/back of several elegant pillows. The large scale birds would look great. Thank you for this giveaway. mlwright29 (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  81. I really like the bag. Your fabric is really fabulous. I think a bag for the red birds or a picture with some of the birds quilted. Thanks and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  82. This is the third attempt for a post... I woudl make two elegant pillows with one fabric on the front and the other on the back. Youor mother selected some fantastic bird fabric. Thank you for this giveaway. mlwright29 (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  83. I'm a follower...I love your blog title. It is so funny and fitting to myself. :)
    So what to do with the fabric? I'd make some pillows. Everyone would see them. And with the scraps, I would make a flower for a brooch. :) Good luck and thanks for the giveaway!!!

    Megan
    joshnmeg@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  84. Love your cute bag and I am following you!

    ReplyDelete
  85. i love books, and 3 ring binders are ugly on their own. One yard makes a wonderful cover with inner pocket for a 3 ring binder, either for recipies, patterns, etc....

    going to try and find the follow button!

    ReplyDelete
  86. love your bag! it's super cute! and i also love those fabrics that your mom got for you! i would make an accent pillow with that bird fabric! so bold and graphic, i LOVE IT!! thank you for doing a fabulous give away! khatarynah@excite.com

    ReplyDelete
  87. The fabric with the red birds I'd make a couple of couch pillows with red ruffles.

    the fabric with the birds of paradise, I think I would make a skirt out of. but that is just me (and 1 yard would never cover me, but it would like a size 8 right?

    Thanks for the opportunity to win a yard bag :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  88. I'm with you on this one.. I'd have a really hard time deciding what to do with these great fabrics! I would probably frame the top one, at least one row of birds, or even just one bird in an oval frame. Depending on the size of the print, it might make a cute shirt for Ava too, with a row of birds around the top.


    It would also make a great non-symmetrical quilt. Maybe with a range of square sizes. The top birds could be fussy-cut into larger squares (birds offset from center) and framed in a darker color. The bottom fabric could be used in slightly smaller squares. For the rest of the quilt, I would use two or three even smaller square sizes with colors taken from the bottom fabric, mostly the blues and reds in small print floral patterns. I can't find a picture or pattern to show you exactly what I'm picturing but these are pretty close: http://lizzyhouse.typepad.com/lizzyhouse/2009/01/free-housewares-pattern-is-now-available-.html
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1068338089041888883UfhmuV

    That's a cute bag! I know I'm too late for the giveaway but thought I'd throw in another idea!

    ReplyDelete