Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Where I get really angry and curse all evening to myself

I'm going to try and keep this G rated, but I am pretty flippin' mad.

I first heard about BPA, when I was pregnant with A. James.  I didn't worry much about it because I had planned to breastfeed and didn't really need to be concerned about sippy cups for another year or so.  I put it in the back of my mind, but made sure to try and de-plastic my life the best of my ability.  I got rid of all of my plastic storage containers unless I was sure they were BPA free and I used canning jars to keep my leftover foods in.  I even made it a point to buy all "organic" baby foods in glass jars because "surely they wouldn't use BPA"---

Long story short, I've been about as careful and psychotically anal about this as a person can get.  Heck, I've even started to grow and can my own food so that I'll know what goes into it.  Felt pretty awesome about my food being safe. 

Well, I DID feel pretty awesome about my food being safe until I read this nonsense and spent the entire night complaining and cursing.

You have got to be kidding me?!  BPA in canning jar lids?  Seriously, what is the point?  Can't we just find something else to use?  Some supporters are saying it is just "a minuscule amount, a teeny-tiny amount.  You shouldn't worry about it at all.  Just forget about it and move on with your day."

I am sorry, call me a skeptic but I don't even want a microscopic amount around anything I am coming into contact with, and don't get me started on my daughter and possibly future children.  Especially since endocrine disruptors have been linked to developmental, neural, reproductive, immune and other problem in animal testing.  Who wants that around their children, even in tiny amounts?

*Deep Sigh*  What do we do?  I am trying my best to present my family with a lifestyle that is free of contaminants (which I know technically is impossible to do) but I can eliminate quite a bit by growing my own vegetables and trying to be as self sufficient as possible.  Now I hear that even if I do that, the way I go about preserving my food hinders that?  All because of BPA in my canning lids? 

Good Grief!
I have found one solution to the canning lids.  Tattler Reusable Lids, which are still PLASTIC, but supposedly contain no BPA.  See how paranoid and untrustworthy I have become?  The price isn't bad, and they are reusable so that makes me feel better.  This will work for now.  However, we need to do something about the main problem and try to get rid of BPA in our environment.  At the very least require government to let us know what contains BPA and what doesnt.  Well, maybe---just maybe---we can follow in Canada's footsteps and actually ban BPA in bottles, sippy cups and other plastics used for food projects.  Ah, well probably not, but can't a girl dream?

1 comment:

  1. That is distressing. :( I've been very careful about the food containers that Lil Mr. V comes into contact with. Is there any food grade wax? Much like the wax that goes onto cheese? Does that contain any sort of BPA? And is there any way of sealing your canning jars with it. I know a LONG time ago, that's how they sealed corks onto bottles is with wax.

    ReplyDelete