Monday, November 1, 2010

Going out on a limb

Maggiano's Pumpkin Cheesecake
I pretty much order the same boring thing at every restaurant we go to.  Eggplant Parmesan at any Italian place, Three Cheese Nachos at Qdoba, Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich and Greek Salad at Panera Bread---you get the drift here.

It isn't that I don't like trying new things.

I don't consider myself "boring" when it comes to food.

I just don't like paying for something and then not liking it and being hungry.

It is fear that drives me.  And my cheapness frugal nature.

So for a mini-family vacation we went to St. Louis this past weekend.  Our Hotel served a really nice breakfast so we ate there, had PB&J for lunch and splurged on dinner at Maggiano's.  The last time I ate there with N. James I fell into my cozy old habit and ordered the Eggplant Parmesan.  It was wonderful, of course.  So this time I was planning on doing the same until I saw this on the menu:

Butternut Squash Ravioli.  Little homemade raviolis filled with butternut squash and drizzled with Parmesan Sage Sauce and candied pecans. 

Whoa.   

I was at a crossroads. 

On one hand I didn't want to be let down by my food, and on the other well c'mon!  Butternut Squash Ravioli!  It sounds crazy good.

So my curiosity won out and I am so very glad it did.  It was amazing.  Very different.  Sweet Pasta isn't something I've had before. 

Now I am determined to branch out at home as well.  The same rules apply in my cooking.   I didn't want to go out and spend money on ingredients and have it end up tasting horrible.  Especially when making Italian food!  It calls for heavy cream, fresh herbs, and fancy (expensive) cheeses.

So I've gone and found a few recipes that use similar ingredients and I am going to make them this week.  Here are the contestants:

Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Butter Sage Sauce
Spinach and Artichoke Pasta

I'll let you know how it goes.  Wish me luck.
Also, if you have a recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake with ginger crust and candied walnuts and Amaretto whipped cream....let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment