![]() |
| Seriously, you can't tell me this doesn't frighten you. |
I am currently reading Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors
It is awesome.
Timely enough he has a "Christmas" poem. I especially enjoyed this one because I have always thought Santa Claus is super creepy.
I think I would have been one of those children who cry themselves to sleep on Christmas Eve Night. Or I would have just slept with a bat under my pillow.
But we never had the whole "Santa" illusion. Lucky for me.
Here, goes.
Nicholas Was...
older than sin, and his beard could grow no whiter. He wanted to die.
The dwarfish natives of the Arctic caverns did not speak his language, but conversed in their own, twittering tongue, conducted incomprehensible rituals, when they were not actually working in the factories.
Once every year they forced him, sobbing and protesting, into Endless Night. During the journey he would stand near every child in the world, leave one of the dwarves' invisible gifts by its bedside. The children slept, frozen into time.
He envied Prometheus and Loki, Sisyphus and Judas. His punishment was harsher.
Ho.
Ho.
Ho.
Happy Holidays!

We're not bringing Nathan up with the notion of Santa. Eventually I'll explain the purpose of Santa and why we don't celebrate Christmas with him. He's two and we've never had his pictures taken with Santa or anything else. Well today I went to have his pictures taken because it's his birthday and who was ringing the Salvation Army bell? Santa. Nathan ran right over to him and gave him a hug. He asked if Nathan has been a good boy. Nathan told him that he was and when he said "Well, I'll be seeing you tomorrow night then." Nathan looked at him funny and went "NOOOOO!" *LOL*
ReplyDeletelol. I always had a problem with mothers putting their young children on some strange man's lap, personally. And the whole B&E thing that Santa does Christmas Eve? Ludicrous!
ReplyDelete