I just need to check to be sure it isn't one of those worldwide phenomenas and I should just brace myself for the rest of this carnage.
First Olga, my new sewing machine---only six days out of the box.
Then my yogurt thermometer and finally (and perhaps saddest) my bread machine.
Right in the middle of knead cycle.
On the day I had decided I was going through my Bread Machine Cookbook and doing a bread a day.
Bad. Timing.
That's right. I had to knead bread by hand. The old fashioned way. Not that I'm opposed to doing things the old fashioned way. Most things I do by hand---from scratch.
Bread making was not one one of these times.
So now I am in the market for a new yogurt thermometer and bread machine.
This Zojirushi looks awesome. It does everything you can imagine, but the price tag is pretty high. I love bread, but over $200! Who has that kind of money?
But think of all the possibilities!
I'm sure I could rationalize spending that much, but for now I'm on my way to the thrift stores today. The wonderful thing about bread machines is that I seem to to be one of the few people out there who actually use them. There is ALWAYS bread machines hanging out at yard sales and thrift stores for cheap.
I can always hope someone threw a Zojirushi into their Salvation Army box.
Fingers crossed.
I'll leave you with my first recipe. Which I kneaded by hand and turned out great.
It is from The Bread Machine Cookbook
Honey Wheat Bread
1 cup water/milk (I added milk)
1/3 cup Honey
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBSP vital gluten, optional (I added it in)
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp yeast
I've decided that I'd rather have a kitchenaid mixer than a bread machine. Though kneading dough by hand can become painful, I find that I cook better when I know the texture of the food, than when I don't. I can't even mix bread dough by fork/spoon/utensil. I have to literally mix it all up by hand. If I don't, the biscuits are heavy. Strange isn't it? But yeah....for a bread machine, I'd definitely get a Zojirushi.
ReplyDeleteCome to think of it, our washing machine died the other day. And a few weeks before that, one of our space heaters died. What's going on?
ReplyDelete