Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Where I make a farewell cake.

This is A. James' pirate face.  Arrrr.
A few days ago a friend of mine made a comment about reviewing her goals from last year.  She said she had accomplished most of the list, but was still frusterated because some of the items were still lingering.

"Unaccomplished."

My solution was to make sure you have some easy "feel good" items on that list.

She said that was cheating it was the easy way out. 
Sorry to misquote you, D.

I dont know about that.  It would mean this cake is an easy way out.  Twice. 

Something that looks this tasty can't be an easy way out! 

This cake accomplishes two of the items on my list:

Bake something you've been wanting to bake from Joy the Baker's blog.

and

Bake tasty treats for people who you appreciate (recycling center, library folks, etc).



One of my dear friends is moving off to Australia.  Awesome.  I love it when people are brave and make exciting changes that I am entirely too chicken to make.  I am sad to see her go, but stoked to be able to live vicarously through her.  Tonight is the last sewing group meeting before she leaves on a jet plane.

So I made her a cake.

It sort of  follows this recipe from Joy the Baker's blog.  Which ROCKS if you didn't already know. 

Poppy Seed Cake with Black Raspberry Glaze
adapted from Joy the Baker

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1 1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup yogurt (Joy's recipe calls for buttermilk)
2 large egg
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 Tablespoons poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 325
Add together all dry ingredients (except poppy seeds)
Add together all wet ingredients
Combine dry to wet and add in Poppy Seeds
Pour into your cake pans/bunt pan and let cook for 30-45 minutes.
Let cake cool for 20 minutes before removing from pans.
Top with glaze!

Black raspberry glaze for cake

1/4 cup black raspberries (Joy uses blueberries)
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 T greek yogurt (or milk/buttermilk)










3 comments:

  1. hey, you're not talking about me,are you??? I was actually quite excited that I was able to cross off anything from my list at all,given the past year :) And I didn't say "cheating" I said that it would be the easy way out,lol! I do have some simple ones on my list, such as "learn how to drive a stick shift" but you are right that some are a lot of pressure. Some on my list are things I can never cross off (such as "be a good person") but many are pretty lofty, I do admit. Perhaps I will add "Get the fitted sheet on my bed correctly the FIRST time" to my list, cuz that should be simple but I can never do it! grr....also, that cake looks fabulous and belongs in my belly. Ahem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, I like the new background! much easier to read, and super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may or may not have bene talking about you :P Like how I made it sounds like we were having an actual conversation and NOT on facebook. Ah, the digital world.

    Sorry to misquote you. I'll make you this cake if you'll forgive me :P

    ReplyDelete