Thursday, January 20, 2011

Where I overcome my fear of strangely named baked goods (a.k.a An Ode to Mama Gast)

Whoopie Pies just sound gross.

I don't know what happened to me in my childhood to cause me to cringe in disgust everytime I hear the word "whoopie pie." 

Something must have though.  Normal people don't cringe at the word "whoopie pie."

Then I went to my friend Christi's and ate one.

Hers were chocolate mint and chocolate ganache.  Hers were delicious (says the girl who doesn't even like chocolate).  Hers made me want to make my own.

So i did.



I decided on Banana.  Banana is my favorite next to Pumpkin. 

Yum.  Pumpkin.

I had a pumpkin, I could have used it for this.  But, it is my last one and I'm saving it for something special. 

Just need to figure out what that is.


Cornstarch + Sugar = Powdered Sugar

By the way.  If you don't have any powdered sugar on hand. 

Regular Sugar + Cornstarch + Blender= Powdered Sugar

Also, if you don't have brown sugar:
Regular Sugar + Molasses + Mashing Together = Brown Sugar

There was a lot of mashing going on.  A. James enjoyed this part almost as much as she did the taste test.






Banana Whoopie Pies

For the Pie:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp each: baking soda, baking powder, salt
1 large banana (mashed)
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 stick softened butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp maple syrup powder (optional)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla exract

For the Whoopie:
cream together the following
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz all vegetable shortening
1 banana
1 cup powdered sugar

Oven 350
Mix Dry Ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
Beat Wet Ingredients: Butter, Sugar, Egg,  Maple Syrup Powder (if you have it), vanilla, banana, sour cream or yogurt.
Add dry to wet, mixing as you add.
Plop heaping spoonfuls onto pan lined with parchment paper.  Bake 12 minutes.  Let cool and top with whoopie topping: 

The difference between mine and Martha's recipe? Less sugar, more bananas= more yum, slightly less guilt.
Enjoy!









1 comment:

  1. Sounds great...glad you were able to move through the trauma!

    ReplyDelete