Unfortunately, the great appliance death has not left our house just yet.
My blender has now joined the ranks of the fallen and much loved appliances in my house hold.
How cool are these?! Not only does it have an awesome name like Ninja, but it can do anything. Chop, blend, dice, puree, vacuum your car----
Well, maybe not that last one, but that doesn't make it any less cooler.
Good thing I stole that Magic Bullet Blender
from my mom forever ago. Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to make Kiwi-Kale Smoothies for breakfast.
Yum.
This smoothie was inspired by Joy the Baker's recipe here. (You might want to get used to me talking about her blog constantly).
My initial thought when I saw the title was "eww."
Then I saw the bright green drink and I had to try it. Remember the pea cupcakes? I'm certainly not afraid of some strange food.
I even went out and bought an embarrassingly large bag of kale specifically for this recipe. Seriously, the only bag of kale I could find was almost as big as my cart. I'm sure I looked like a woman who really, really enjoyed her kale. If you have any great kale recipes, please pass them along.
In the meantime, I'll be making several of these.
Kiwi-Kale Smoothiesinspired by Joy the Baker
1 frozen banana
2 kiwis, sliced
1 handful of spinach
1 handful of kale
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4-1/2 cup juice (I used Naked Juice Mango)
To me, the coolest part about this smoothie--- other than it being green---is hiding things in it that most kids won't eat. If you have a hard time getting your kid to eat her spinach try this! As long as you don't let your kids WATCH you make this smoothie, I bet you could get them to drink it.
I am pretty lucky. A. James will eat anything. She loves greens and we've sat by and watched her eat three plates full of lettuce and spinach.
Maybe she just isn't old enough to rebel yet.
Maybe she just likes weird foods like her Mama.
I may have to try this. Getting my husband to eat anything green is pretty much equivalent to trying to get a kid to eat it. Also, after I saw you post this this morning, I came across a kale and apple smoothie recipe.. also sounds pretty good: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/kale-apple-smoothie-00000000050666/index.html
ReplyDeleteAnd so does this: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/quinoa-mushrooms-kale-sweet-potatoes-recipe-00000000019649/index.html
Hey, I was at rural king today and they had some spiffy looking $50 blenders marked down to $29.99. No clue on the brand, but maybe they're decent....
ReplyDelete-DeAnna
What did you taste the most in it?
ReplyDeleteMy two favorite ways to enjoy the wonder that is KALE (a SUPER-FOOD!) --
ReplyDelete1) http://www.suite101.com/content/roasted-kale-a25130 - this crispy baked kale totally reminds me of eating popcorn or potato chips...but it's UBER healthy!!
2) Steamed for a good while (maybe 20 minutes or so?) and tossed with roasted cherry tomatoes (throw a box of cherry tomatoes on a cookie sheet with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper; bake at 400 for about 10 minutes. YUM!) - it's SOOO good.
Hope those help!!! I need to try the smoothie!!!!
I think you're lucky that Ms. A will eat just about anything. Lil' Mr. V is picky and plays with most of this food instead of playing with it. Though I offer him everything that we're eating, he just looks at it and says "NO!"
ReplyDeleteAs far as blenders go...my dream blender is a blendtec blender.
http://www.blendtec.com/
Thanks guys for the recipes! Excited to try them.
ReplyDeleteAmanda---by far the kiwi was the most distinct taste. If you aren't a fan of kiwi, try adding in pears or strawberries or more bananas.