Monday, February 7, 2011

Where A Weekly Menu is successful

As I mentioned a few posts ago, we are trying a weekly menu.  I was really very determined to stick with the plan---and I am proud to say that everything went fairly well.

I am especially pleased with myself because this happened despite all the craziness that was last week.  Sick grandparents, staying away from home for two nights and now a sick little A. James.  The odds were not in my favor friends.  But, I pulled it off.  Everything was made (for better or worse) with the exception of the Pineapple Pie

I know.  That should have been made first.

So here are the results.

Artichoke-and- Red Pepper Pizza.  Great, but all homemade pizza is.  The dough was from scratch (the recipe calls for store bought).  Used canned roasted red peppers, garlic, spinach and goat cheese (yum).  Instead of marinara we used Alfredo sauce.  On second thought, we didn't follow the recipe at all.  Except that we used Artichokes. 

Carrot and Coconut Soup.  I am seriously hoping that I did something terribly wrong and people don't eat soup that tastes like mine did.  Maybe I should have cooked the carrots longer. 

Butternut Squash and Sage Lasagna.  Wow.  This was wonderful.  Without a doubt this will go into our meal rotation.  I didn't change very much about this recipe.  I did bake the butternut squash in the oven and puree it with spinach and red onions (recipe didn't call for either).  Also, I didn't have fresh nutmeg, sage or homemade vegetarian broth.  Mine all came from a bottle.  Sorry Martha to let you down.


So what is on the menu for this week?

 Minestrone Soup (with Sausage for N. James) from Taste of Home and Goat Cheese Biscuits via Joy the Baker

Curried Orange Rice from Campfire Cafe and Orange Chicken from A Year of Slow Cooking

 My Cousin's Ruben's with Sauerkraut and Veggie Dogs with Rye Bread

Butternut Squash with Cranberries from BHG or maybe Wild Rice with Butternut Squash, Cranberry, and Pecans.  Who cares as long as I get to eat some butternut squash with cranberries?







1 comment:

  1. I've tried doing a menu before, but I haven't been able to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete