Seriously.
There were no handmade cards this morning or a dozen roses.
I didn't change out all of our dish towels to adorable ones embroidered lovingly with hearts while my family slept last night or fill the children's bedrooms with candy filled balloons.
I do not have a romantic candlelight dinner planned for tonight with a menu picked out months in advance that required the ordering of heirloom spices online.
I don't even have cute matchy-matchy outfits for my kids to wear so that later I can post adorable pictures online.
I waved at my husband this morning from bed as he left for work. Then I made eggs and toast that I didn't even cut into hearts.
It doesn't get less romantic than that, folks.
I'm sorry I'm such a holiday scrooge. I really am.
I want to be that mom in the festive holiday appropriate apron baking cranberry muffins at 3 am to surprise her family, but I really like sleeping.
I can't help it. If I didn't like sleep so much---oh the things I'd have done.
Also, I'm bitter because my perfect valentine's day present involves some laying hens and/or a miniature jersey milk cow and I'm about 1000 percent sure that it's not happening this year.

Yeah, I get to be first. What can I say, I am a traditionalist...I love fresh flowers in the house. A dozen red roses would do the trick although a couple dozen sherbert colored ones would really get my motor running. I wouldn't sneeze at a little blue Tiffany box either. Annnnd I really desperately want a little maltipoo puppy...with a bow around it's neck....swooon!
ReplyDeleteI would march to the divorce attorney's office though, if Bruce brought me any sort of livestock!!
Ummmm, I got to say, I didn't read this blog post until I had already posted mine. Now I feel so predictable! ;)
Love you bunches lady, Happy Valentine's Day.
You are certainly not predictable. I'm just lazy this year and lacking the time to make anything worthwhile. I made handmade cards last V-day ;) Haha. I love, love, loved your embroidery. Doodle Stitching is amazing.....hopefully next year I will be able to live up to your craftiness;)
DeleteMama I'm so sorry that you feel like this I hope it gets better!!
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to get my sons nursery done and it is so that's my perfect present!! Hubby painted and did all the handy work!!
Wonderful gift! Better than roses any day!
DeleteMy perfect Valentine's present would be if my husband came home and said, "Honey, I've hired a professional painter to come and finish painting the house. It should be done in just a few days. Also, I've been going to the flea market on all those Saturdays that you thought I was working, and I got you some cool pieces to decorate with. Oh yeah, and I got you all new curtains for every window in the house. Happy Valentine's Day!"
ReplyDelete:)Love this. Then he'd say, "Oh, by the way. I ran into Nathan at the flea market. He's getting Cassie a little adorable jersey cow. She's going to be stoked."
DeleteI agree, holidays are dumb. We just need to make up our own so they will have more meaning. With that said, I think my ideal gift would be a bouquet of some ornamental grass from the side of the highway, and some really good Bulgarian feta cheese. And maybe some lovely turnips and beets.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I want earrings!
ReplyDeleteMy perfect Valentine's Day present would be a home-cooked (by SOMEONE ELSE) gourmet meal, made with the freshest, most delightful ingredients. YUMMY stuff. Seafood, for sure. Lots of vegetables. Big flavor. Followed by a long, thorough massage.
But also, I have to say that even though I'm NOT a mom, I completely understand the reality and emotions behind how you are feeling these days. I've always felt the pressure of these STANDARDS we as a culture and society (and even within smaller community groups) set for ourselves. It's like we have to move up this imaginary totem pole of achievement, and we have to do it perfectly, and it's all supposed to look like something out of a really flawless magazine or movie or TV show. And life, as it turns out, is MESSY. Really messy. And it's hard to stay compassionate toward self when your own personal "itty-bitty-shitty-committee" is passing judgment on your every move - both those that you make or don't make. So all this to say that I know what it feels like to feel like you're failing somehow at the life you think you're supposed to have. But you're not. You're amazing. Even if you don't make heart shaped toast. =)
<3 <3 <3 xoxo
First, I have to say, I LOVE your honesty! You crack me up! While I do love some chocolate and wine, my PERFECT v-day gift would be a personal chef, maid, trainer, driver, and organizer. I also love sleep, and if somebody else did all of these things for me, I would have a lot more time to do what I love! xoxo
ReplyDeleteHey Rhian, I got you a personal chef, maid, trainer, driver and organizer! Oh, no. Wait. I didn't. I thought I was Oprah for a second, but I'm not. BUMMER.
DeleteI always ask for kitchen gadgets for holidays, so something like a mixer would be my perfect gift. And I won't lie, we've talked about doing a chicken coop at some point when we buy land, and since we rarely purchase things without a holiday involved, that could very well be a valentine gift in the future. So you aren't alone. lol!
ReplyDeleteI think the honesty and the realistic part of this was my favorite. I ABSOLUTELY love those earrings. To me the best Valentine's Day present would be to spend the day at a Nursing home and just sit and talk to all the older couples that have spent so many Valentine's Days together. I think it would be really sweet and selfless, also a great life lesson. With that experience in todays society you might actually get a real taste of what love is. :)
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to your post, Cassie, and what you want is what I wanted for so long too. I used to rent a house and couldn't have chickens because my landlord's said they were unsanitary for my children. Boo! Now I have them running amuck at the Orchard. No dairy cow yet, but hopefully someday I will settle down enough for the schedule of milking, not to mention have enough cash to buy the cow. Anywho, this year Luke and I were on a tight budget and we each received love notes from each other. His was completely a surprise and that, is one of my favorite things...that he would write me a love note on plain ol' lined paper and it's more than 6 or 7 lines long, all on his own accord. It was precious, heartfelt, and made me melt. SWOON! :) I'd love those earrings too! :)
ReplyDeleteMy request for Valentine's day was a few piglets to put out to pasture, so I totally understand about the cow and the chickens!! I don't like fresh flowers because they die and are such a waste of money. I also like to sleep. If it's something I can get done at midnight then I'm in, but if it has to be done at 5 am, then count me out. lol!!
ReplyDelete