Friday, January 29, 2010

Where Homemade Valentine's Cards are made




Yay! So, I have finally finished my submission for the SewMamaSew! Valentine's Day contest I mentioned earlier. N. James was out of state for almost a week on a training for work so A. James and I took the opportunity to go visit Grandma for a few days. I brought along some material and my embroidery gear and we (i.e., A. James and the entire neighborhood of children) all worked on this project. I love involving kids when I am making something. A. James pretty much just played with the different fabrics and used a larger (and very blunt) needle to push in and out of a scrap piece of fabric, but the older girls (1st and 2nd grade) cut out their own little animals/shapes out of felt and went to town.

I made two, the first was a trial run. The second we made for Daddy, and I've decided to enter into the contest. I wanted to go with an elephant theme (because both A. James and I adore anything with elephants) so I used a polka-dot grey and white fabric for the outside and a red and white polka-dot for the liner on the inside. The back of the envelope has a little elephant following a bigger elephant. The valentine on the inside has an embroidered note that says, "I'll follow you anywhere." (A joke because A. James is always following us around). On the back of the note, I've added two more elephants with their trunks entwined in a kiss. I am pretty excited, this is the first time I've made anything for a contest. I doubt I'll win anything this time, there are so many talented entries already submitted and it doesn't end until the 12th of Feb, but it was so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing. I am very impressed! I love the elephants, it's too cute. I think you'll win. :) I wish I could sew so well. I am working on it, really. Your pattern will be my first project in a while, I just have to go pick out some fabric. I can't wait to get to it! Good luck in the contest, I know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete