Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Let me step up on this soap box a minute


Since A. James has made up her mind that she is finished with naps she has been going to bed at around 7:30. This is great for N. James and I because we have all of this time together before bed. Also, it gives me lots of time to sew and do for myself (when I actually have then energy after going all day non-stop with her).

A time of two, I've spent some of this time at Wal-Mart late at night either picking up a few groceries or browsing through fabric. I don't know if you have been to Wal-Mart between the hours of 8:00pm-10:00pm, it actually isn't that much worse than another time frame, but that is the time parents are taking their exhausted children to the store to yell at them.

Very honestly, I am always running into some parent with a cart load of children who are beyond tired and just want to go to bed, but the parent isn't finished so they are screaming and screaming at these poor kids because they are "misbehaving." This last trip just pushed me over my tolerance ledge. Why is it that every angry, irritated, overwhelmed person shops there? I never have this problem anywhere else. Is it just me?

I know it may seem silly to you, but I just always have a bad experience there. It isn't usually the people who work there, they are very pleasant and helpful. I have a cousin who works there and she is one of the cheeriest people I know. It is the people who shop there. I've reached my limit. I am not shopping there anymore.

I can just hear you now. *Gasp* What? How is that possible?

I know it is going to be hard. The prices are much lower than everywhere else, and it is nice to be able to get most everything I need in one place (especially with a very car intolerant two year old) and not have to make multiple stops. However, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. We try pretty darn hard at our house to treat each other with respect and fairness. When N. James and I have an argument we don't do it in front of A. James. All of that goes out the window when we go to Wal-mart and everyone is yelling at everyone else. So, I guess I'll be shopping elsewhere for a while.

I'll get off my box now.

4 comments:

  1. I used to work there. I hate seeing that. One day this lady yelled at her daughter for bugging her to go to the bathroom for around 10 minutes. She kept telling her that she can hold it. Mind you this child was around 3 or 4. And eventually the girl started crying because she tinkled on herself. The mother went nuts. Since I was just finishing up her order, and I was right in front of the bathrooms up front as well, if she had a second sense on when her daughters bladder was full or not. And that if she weren't aware of it, but extended periods of holding it causes increased chances of UTIs and that "stretching" the bladder can contribute to incontinence later in life. But we saw that all the time. The way I see it, if I'm tired I go home. We try to not have Nathan out after 8pm at the very latest. Even though he won't go to sleep until around 10-11pm. It's his wind down time. And he NEEDS that in order to get good rest. I just wished others were so considerate as you, to their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick to your guns here! I try as much as possible to avoid Wal-Mart. In fact, it's probably been 2-3 weeks since I've been.

    I admire entrepreneurs and businesses and all that jazz. And Wal-Mart has done a super fantastic job at creating a super-conglomerate mega mart. But whenever I pass any town square, I just get so sad because I think of how life would have been like without Wal-Marts. My Granny talks about going to R-Ville and all the little neat shops that used to be on the square. Such a shame that those places have to go out of business because of Wal-Mart. I would love love love to run a bookstore/knick-knack/antique store one day, but those types of places barely make it these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy. I had forgotten that you once worked there. I am sorry, I can't imagine all that you had to put up with.

    I agree with you T. At first I scoffed at those who were all "anti-walmart," then I gave it more thought. You are right, it is very hard to open any kind of "small-town" business because you just can't compete with the Wal-Mart prices. However, there are some (like the Harvest) who did quite well. I guess it just depends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a lot of it has to do with your town as well. Places like Asheville, NC are good for small businesses. Or maybe their large enough to support a Walmart or two and their small businesses. There are a lot of artistic people in Asheville. And they are not really the forerunners of redneck chic (as my friend puts walmart fashions). Unfortunately, Madisonville requires a Walmart, I believe. And it kills me, when people act the fool out there. Since I've left I've been back 2 times. Once to get my final paycheck and once to get my tires rotated and my oil changed. That's been it. I tend to do my shopping elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete