Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Making Yogurt: Take two


So, I am trying to make yogurt again. Last time it just evolved into this semi chunky milk-like substance that I used instead of milk when I made bread and such. It wasn't entirely useless, but it wasn't yogurt and despite the assurances from the website that I could "drink it," it just didn't agree with my palate. So I am trying again, using the same great website. It is full of pictures and advice. After my yogurt disaster I emailed the website and was walked through by their yogurt experts. We decided that it must be a problem with my heating pad to make a long story short.

So, I am giving it another try. We eat a lot of yogurt in our house. A. James eats a cup of yo-baby at least everyday for breakfast or a snack and they are around $3.50-$4.00 for a six pack. I don't mind getting them for her because they are made with whole milk and organic ingredients (and lots of less sugar than other brands) not to mention that it tastes so much better (yes, I sometimes take a bite here and there). However, I love to make things from scratch; i.e., washing powder, dishwasher detergent, shampoo, soaps. Not to mention food stuffs like salad dressing, bread and such. I just found out you can make baking powder and confectioners sugar from scratch from this website. I think I may have shed some ecstatic tears when I came across this site. Everything from scratch! Are you kidding me?! I can make food coloring and gelatin mix on my own! I didn't even know I had the desire to do so until I found this website. Amazing.

I have everything I need. I even did a trial run to make sure my heating pad isn't going to ruin everything this time and it went well. Hopefully, I'll have some yogurt in about 12 or so hours. If not, I am going to try the crock-pot method I read about here. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment