Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Results are In!


I know you have just been giddy with excitement wondering if the yogurt turned out. Well, if you haven't don't worry. I've been giddy enough for the both of us. So, results?

We have yogurty looking yogurt in the fridge right now as I type this! Perfect looking (and tasting) yogurt made from organic whole milk and organic whole milk yogurt that I made. I am super excited about this. All you need is: some pots, a heating pad, milk, plain yogurt with active live cultures. (I used Stonyfield Cream Top Plain Yogurt)and a thermometer (I used a candy thermometer). Come on, do it! You have all that stuff right now.

I followed the directions from here, doing the same thing as I did last time with a few exceptions. I used a smaller amount of milk this time (1 quart instead of 1/2 gallon). I also used a smaller pot (3 quart instead of 8 quart). So, a word to the wise if you decide to do this. Which you should because it is super easy and worth it. Before you start, check the temperature of your heating pad. Do this:

Turn your heating pad on (on medium heat, which is recommended) and put the pot you are going to use on top of it. Fill the pot with the same amount of water you plan to use for yogurt (1 quart, 1 gallon, 1/2 gallon). Let this sit for a while (an hour or so) and then measure the temperature of the water. Is it 110 degrees? No, try high heat?

Why do this you ask? The milk has to stay at around 110 degrees for seven hours to become yogurt. The yogurt site recommends you put your pot on a heating pad and put it on medium heat. This is what I did last time. However, when I tested the water this time it was only keeping it at around 100 degrees! This may be the reason for my yogurt failure last time. I had to kick it up to high to get the right temperature.

Now, the yogurt is just plain jane yogurt (which I think tastes a lot like sour cream). You'll have to add honey, sugar, fruit, etc. to get it to taste the way you like it. Personally, I just like to add in some bananas and wheat germ. Or you can add in vanilla extract. Yum. The sky is the limit.

6 comments:

  1. That would be awesome, however, Nathan will only eat it sometimes and his Daddy doesn't eat it at all. So the only one who eats it regularly is me. And even then, I can't eat it daily. I eat it several times a week. But that's cool. I've seen another method that doesn't require a heating pad. If you'd like I can send you the link to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a yogurt fan, but more power to you! I'm glad your yogurt experiments proved successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen some methods that use a crockpot? Is that what you are talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, she uses a couple of pots and a cooler.

    http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/

    That's her recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe, Tracy. Have you tried it? It looks like a great idea for small batches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, not at the moment. I'm not near brave enough for that. Like I said I'm afraid I wouldn't eat it fast enough to make it worth my while.

    ReplyDelete