Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hate mystery ingredients, but l-o-v-e sherbet?


I don't know about you, but I have a weakness for ice-cream.  At most birthday parties and other cake necessitating events I will normally forgo the cake for a nice heaping bowl of vanilla or strawberry ice cream.  Lately, the flavor of the month in our house has been rainbow sherbet (which has a lot to do with Kroger having their name brand gallon size on sale).  As I was scraping the bottom of our second gallon I started to look over the ingredient list.  I had been avoiding doing this because I had a pretty good idea what was going to be on there, but my conscious got the best of me and I started to read.   What did I find?  Lots of words that I wasn't exactly sure what they were but I was pretty positive they weren't good for me.  We love sherbet/sorbet/sherbet (or however you'd like to spell it) in our house, but I'm really not crazy about putting a bunch of mysterious ingredients into my body or my family's body.  So the compromise? Homemade orange sherbet
What you'll need:

1.5 tablespoons of orange zest
1.5 cups of really, really cold milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups orange juice (if you feel spunky and want fresh squeezed you'll need around 3 lbs of oranges)
¾ to 1 cup of sugar (I like my sherbet tart, so I used ¾ cup of sugar.  If you like sweeter sherbet you'll need to add more)

Blend together all ingredients except the milk.  Whisk in the milk and place covered container into the fridge to chill. When the mixture is around 40 degrees (roughly one hour in the fridge), transfer to your ice cream maker and follow the instructions for your specific machine.  When the sherbet is the consistency of ice cream, transfer to a freezer safe container and let chill for 3 hours.  If you can't wait that long, enjoy a bowl as soon as it comes out of the machine.
 When mine was finished, it filled up a 1 quart freezer container.  This won't last long in my house.  Next time I'll double the recipe and make a half gallon of sherbet. I'd also like to try this recipe using yogurt instead of milk. Also, I'm thinking a lime version of this would really hit the spot. This is the best part of having an ice-cream maker, the endless (and delicious) possibilities. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment