So, I am fairly proud of myself this morning. A. James decided to wake up super early. She crawled into bed with us, but she didn't sleep. Instead she just squirmed around for about an hour until N. James' alarm went off and she proudly proclaimed "It is morning! Time to get out of here!"
Nice.
Where is my sleeping beauty from yesterday who slept in until almost 10?
I'm getting a little tired of the schizophrenic sleeping schedules.
On the bright (and early) side. I was able to finish a sewing project. I have been in love with this skirt since I first saw it on SewMamaSew. I attempted it a few months ago and failed miserably. The skirt is complete and together-ish, but it looks horrible and isn't flattering in the least.
So I tried again. I decided to make some changes. The waistband calls for shirring and I tried again. I am terrible at it. So I just fed a few tiny slips of elastic through the "shirred" holes. I didn't add a liner because I like "light" clothing and my fabric was pretty dark. Also, I left out the pockets because I really didn't feel like crying this morning or setting fabric on fire in my front yard.
However, I did add a few things. First I made it tie in the back. I just cut two extra lengths of fabric and sandwiched them between the front and back waistbands in this part of the instructions. Now I can make the skirt fit tighter if I want. Also, the bow in the back is adorable. Also, completely by accident---It now has panels. I didn't have enough fabric so I had to improvise. I added a couple of 6 inch strips of muslin between my fabric to give myself more room to gather the skirt. I'm glad I ran out of fabric. I really like the way it looks.
I'm so excited now. Think about the possibilities?
Wool---Corduroy--- for this winter?
Patchwork, linen, eyelet fabric?
Embroidered?
Any suggestions?

"Also, I left out the pockets because I really didn't feel like crying this morning or setting fabric on fire in my front yard." This cracked me up!! I love how you shared the process here...and yeah, I think running out of fabric was a happy accident! I think you should try it in a fun corduroy print for fall!
ReplyDelete