Thursday, October 14, 2010

Where I discover Feed Sack Reproductions are like crack

There are a couple of quilt patterns that I have always been in love with.  Grandmother's Flower Garden, Log Cabins and Coin Quilts----to name a few.  However, my skill level prevents me from dreaming big and jumping on the Grandmother's Flower Garden and even the Log Cabins (I've heard it is easy, and my friend Kellie has a great wonky version on her blog.)

As you know, because I can't stop talking about it---I've decided to jump in and do a BOTM (block of the month) club at our local sewing shop.  Seeing I've never made a quilt before and this isn't a beginner's class (it was beautiful and I had just finished a few projects and was apparently high on self esteem)---there will probably be some sweat, tears, cursing and lots and lots of  calming three part Dirga breath involved.

A few of the fabrics for the
Coin Quilt
To balance the difficult quilt and keep myself from going crazy I am going to make a easy one.  Also, I've been told this will help me practice my "scant quarter inch" stitches which are of the utmost importance when quilting.  So, I decided to make a coin quilt out of every pink fabric I own (and a few I bought from the local fabric store) for my pink-loving little A. James. 

You can see most of the fabrics (which  had been previously stacked neatly into little OCD pleasing piles) here; on top of her head and wrapped around her knees and feet.  Sigh.  Children just don't appreciate anything when it is piled neatly or resembles "tidy" in the least bit.  I spent all of last night cutting fabric into 2 X 4.5 inch and 3 X 4.5 inch rectangles. 

I may have gotten carried away.

I may have cut up enough fabric to make 2 or 3 toddler bed quilts.


I may still not think I have enough fabric and secretly want to go and get more of the delicious Aunt Grace Feed sack Reproductions.

I may.

Just one or two 1/4 yards.  Then I'll stop.  I promise.


I'm not really following any certain pattern.  I've seen several of them.  There are all kinds, but most of them follow the same sort of loose rules.  If you'd like to make a quilt but want a solid pattern to follow you can find a few wonderful ones by following the links below.

If you've made a coin quilt I'd love to see it!  Send me a link!

Moda Bake Shop
CluckCluckSew
HomeSchoolBlog  a very different approach!




No comments:

Post a Comment