Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Orange Cranberry Craisin Bread----Oh, yeah.

Around Thanksgiving CSN Stores was kind enough to give me some free stuff to giveaway.  I asked for you to suggest some great recipes.

I have tried most of them.  However, my dear friend Lindsey sent a recipe for Cranberry Bread and I can't stop making it.

I've tweaked it a little and came up with my own vegan version.  Last night I made it for our sewing group, Seams to Me.  They loved it too so I thought I should share.

Enjoy.

Vegan Orange Cranberry-Craisin Bread
adapted from TasteofHome

makes one loaf

2 cups flour
1/4 cup wheat germ (optional)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cranberries
1/2 cup craisins
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar (I've lowered this to 1/4 cup with no problem).
                                                                                    1 cup orange juice
                                                                                    1 Tbsp Flax seed +3 Tbsp water (or 1 egg)
  •  Oven 350
  • In one bowl mix: sugar, oil, flax seed + water, orange juice
  • In another bowl mix: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt
  • Mix together Bowl One + Bowl Two
  • Add in Cranberries and Craisins
  • Grease Bread Pan (or muffin pan)
  • Bake for one hour (less time for muffins) or until toothpick comes out clean
  • Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.


If you are opting to use the flax seed for the vegan version occasionally, you might find that it has been an hour and the bread is still sticky in the middle.  I'm still toying around with the recipe for best results.  Check at 45 minutes and if it is still pretty sticky---lower the oven temp to 325.  Check in an hour and it may have to go an extra 15 minutes.  I don't know if this is kosher, but it works for me. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment