Saturday, April 9, 2011

A quilt for Cricket

When my sister found out she was expecting we told A. James that she was going to be a cousin.  Although she was only a few weeks along we thought it would be cute to ask A. James to suggest some names.

She said Cricket.
It caught on and since then we've been calling the baby Cricket.  Even though she has a proper name (Evelyn) it is hard to make the switch and drop the nickname.

Cricket/Evelyn will be here in six weeks and I've decided to make her a quilt.  Quilts have always been a staple gift in our family.  As I've mentioned I come from a huge family of quilters.  I don't think I ever had a store bought quilt on my bed growing up and neither has A. James.  For my shower, I received probably 10 baby blankets.  Most of those were handmade by members of my family.  It means so much being able to look at my own quilts and the quilts made for A. James and share the memories with her. 

I want to do the same for Cricket.

This is the pattern I decided on. 

Simple Stripe Quilt by Diary of a Quilter

My sister is doing a bird themed room.  I just so happen to love bird themed everything and have been collecting bird fabric for no reason in particular for a while.  After a short moral dilemma over whether or not I could part with my bird fabric I gathered what I had that matched.

Not much---- so I drove down to our local fabric store and with some help from the wonderful owner I had everything I needed.

 I followed the instructions and cut the fabric into 11 X 13 inch blocks and then cut each block into sections. 

The outside of the blocks stay the same fabric (above flowered pink) and all you switch around are the middle strips.  Very easy!  It didn't take long and I was finished and Jack had found his place on the pile of sorted strips.

Cats.


All sewn together and cut down into 11 inch squares.  All I need to do now is to sew them together!

No comments:

Post a Comment