Monday, June 6, 2011

Where I run out of muffin tins and bake a cake


I'm keeping my word and forcing myself to stick to my New Year's Resolution by baking delicious goodies from Joy the Baker.

I know. It is TOUGH.

 This is one I made quite a while ago, but am just now uploading pictures and sharing the recipe.

This recipe was intended to to be muffins, but I didn't have any of those little muffin tins, so I just poured the batter into a round cake pan.

I am so pleased with this cake recipes. It is so hard trying to find something that isn't from a box and tastes moist. I knew it could be done---unless everyone in the pre-Duncan Hines era consumed dry cakes---but I've been having trouble finding a yellow cake/white cake that meets my standards. If you know of any—please feel free to share.

Until then, I'll just keep making fruity combinations like this one:

 
Browned Butter Cranberry Lime Muffins (or Cake)
From Joy the Baker


oven preheated to 350 degrees

7 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/3 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
zest of one lime
juice of one lime
1.5 cups flour
¾ cups sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries
½ cup cranberries
¼ cup sugar for topping

Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Keep cooking until little brown bits form in the butter. The butter will crackle and little flakes of brown goodness will form. Remove from heat.

Whisk milk, eggs, vanilla, juice and zest until well combined.

Mix together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder.

Add together milk mixture and browned butter. Fold this into the dry mixture and add in the cranberries (fresh and dry).

Pour into your muffin tins or your cake pan (greased) and let bake until a toothpick comes out clean (18-20 minutes). About five minutes before finished, sprinkle on sugar for topping.

Enjoy








No comments:

Post a Comment